This position is responsible for credit approval, receivable collection, and bad debt management for all customers of Span Alaska Transportation LLC. Works to minimize the risk of financial loss and to maximize cash flow by personally performing, or assigning subordinate personnel to perform careful analysis of new accounts and collection of past due invoices. Makes recommendations and/or determinations, when appropriate, regarding the issuance or continuation of credit.
Dimensions (dollar amounts of financial responsibilities such as budget, revenue goals/ operating volumes; number employees):
Revenue: Approx $100M
Subordinates: 3 to 4 non-exempt
• Assigns collection, credit & cash application duties to subordinates and actively manages staff in a professional, efficient and effective manner.
• Assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of systems, processes and policies to adapt to changes in business requirements, as well as to enhance functionality, flexibility, scalability, and efficiency.
• Develop and maintain procedural and training documentation for all credit and collections processes according to guidelines provided by the Sr Accounting Manager.
• Ensure equitable workload distribution amongst staff.
• Establishes and reviews credit for customers, manages compliance with credit limits, and communicates credit decisions to sales, pricing and customer service as appropriate.
• Must ensure timely follow-up and collection of customer accounts receivable. This includes collecting accounts within the Company's collection guidelines, using an outside agency or taking legal action when necessary.
• Audits delinquent accounts considered to be uncollectible to ensure efforts have been exhausted before assigning bad debt status to accounts.
• Determines which accounts to write off as bad debt or uncollectible.
• Prepares all daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports and reconciliations in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Monitors department staffing to ensure adequacy in meeting departmental requirements. Recommends staffing changes when necessary.
• Trains, motivates, and evaluates subordinates. Provide the department with positive management leadership. Effectively communicate with each employee their goals and provide them with feedback. Reinforce positive behavior.
• Complies with all company rules, policies, and procedures. Works and behaves safely by following all safety rules and regulations.
• Performs any task required to support customer requirements and company goals.
• Strive to achieve a good outcome for all stakeholders.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from four-year college/university. Accounting/Finance degree preferred.
• Three (3) or more years of credit/collections managerial experience required. Experience in a high volume business environment with a customer base in excess of 1,000 businesses preferred.
• Strong knowledge of all MS Office programs, including Excel and Word software.
• Must possess and exercise excellent managerial and customer service skills at all times.
• Must consistently demonstrate professional and pleasant behavior and effectively communicate in stressful situations and/or environments.
• Strong interpersonal and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, including excellent telephone skills.
• Strong ability to plan, prioritize, delegate and manage multiple tasks.
• Must work well with others, including vendors, suppliers, and internal and external customers to achieve common goals.
• Ability to develop solid working knowledge of intermodal transportation industry.
• Ability to adapt to rapidly changing customer requests and requirements.
Other skills and experience that are preferred but not required:
• Ability to type thirty (30) or more words per minute and perform 10-key commands.
• Previous transportation industry experience.
• Familiarity with Fair Credit Reporting Act
Submit a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Span Alaska Transportation, established in 1973, is a premier; asset based Freight Forwarding Company servicing the great state of Alaska. Our dedicated team provides superior service with exceptional care and attention to detail. We are always interested in exceptional people with superb skills who are a dependable team player, thrive on challenge and strive to always bring out the best in others while achieving their best.
3815 West Valley Hwy N
Auburn, WA 98001